Saturday, January 31, 2009

Harris Hawk in the chicken coop...

We have never experienced a problem (that we are aware of) with our free-range chickens being pestered by hawks, but here a few weeks back we were there and heard an awful commotion near the chicken pen and went to see what was going on. When we got out there, there was a Harris Hawk inside the chicken pen (a fully enclosed aviary) and the chickens were long gone. One left with less feathers than he started with. We really didn't have any idea how we could get the hawk out of the cage, but since I had flown all the way to Ireland to fly a Harris Hawk, I just couldn't bring myself to shoot him (or her). So I went in the cage with some work gloves on and tried to get close and he went nuts. Then I went outside and tried to shew him out, but he again went a bit crazy and started flying into the cage. So I finally went in an eased up to him as he stared me down. As I got close, I started kind of a blowing noise at him. He fell to the ground and started to lean back as I eased closer. As I got up to him and continued to blow, he fell over backwards and I reached down gently and clutched his claws and lifted him up and out of the cage. As I got outside with him I held him so Amber could get a photo of him. I then just kind of gave him a head start of a glide and he literally glided over the roof of the firewood shed and stopped and turned around and stared at me like he couldn't believe he was free. I felt pretty good about seeing him fly off. I asked him very nicely not to come back and ruffle the feathers of Mik's laying hens. I feel like we have a good understanding:-) Right.



Galen holding the Harris Hawk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home